Monday, June 27, 2011

Fla-freaking-menco!

Last night was so awesome. We went to an underground little flamenco bar, and it was seriously one of my favorite cultural experiences thus far.

First, we met up with keely and Jessie. They brought with them a girl named kat. She was staying at their hostel. She was great tho! We all were hungry xo we decided to get a nice dinner. I'm trying to forget how much I paid. It was un poco expensive hehe. But it was so delicious. We went to an adorable Italian resturant. I was in the mood for veggies so I got a salad with strawberries, warm goat cheese, walnuts, and balsamic. It was unbelievably good. The cheese was amazing. Lakshmi and I de decided to go big and we split a chocolate souffle for dessert. OMG.

After dinner we wandered around the tiny streets looking for this flamenco bar Jessie had heard about. Map quest herself led us around. It was so hilarious when we found the place I have no idea how we got there! Anywho it was this kinda hole in the wall bar. I felt like I was in a cow barn almost. It was insanely hot, there where huge fans, and misters on the ceiling. We got there at about 1030 and the show was set to start at 11. Of course it didn't start till later but whatever hehe.

Ok they don't teach you in class how freaking intense flamenco is. We learned about how it isnt really a dance you can learn, and how you have to feel the pain of the gypsies in order to have the passion to dance like them. But wow.

So quick history lesson, flamenco started in Seville or somewhere near it. It originated with the gypsies, but what influenced by the arabs and the Jews. Gypsies are a group of people here that, similar to the jews, don't relly have a homeland. historians say they came from India. They were the lowest class in the caste system, so the fled. From then on they have been nomads. They are kinda natorious for sticking in a clan and stealing hehe.

So to make a long interesting story fit in my blog, I'll just sum it up as flamenco is a lot different than most people think. Its spontaneous and passionate. At the bar, there were two men one with the guitarra (he sang) and the other played a drumish thing (honestly to me he was sitting on a barrel and hitting it). There was one women dancing, but also she is part of the music because she pounds her heels and claps a lot. It was amazing I took a few videos. You'll see.

Today we haven't done much. Just explored. Broke down and got star bucks...oops. Now we are napping in the room. Well Lakshmi is napping, I am watching one tree hill. Tonight we are going to a different flamenco place I believe. Then, it's off to Barcelona at 7am tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment